Living in England is a really cool thing. There are all kinds of different activities and places to explore, beautiful sites to see, and even better - weird things to giggle about. I thought I would take the time this week to tell you about some of the funnier, and sometimes just plain ridiculous, ones.
I am sure you’ve heard the typical examples, such as:
- Fries being called “chips”
- Chips being called “crisps”
- Cookies being called “biscuits” (silly Brits)
But having been here for about a month now, I’ve noticed some even weirder ones, like:
- When you get money from the ATM it asks if you want an “Advice Slip.” My question always is: “What kind of advice?"
- Eggs aren’t refrigerated here.
- Dining halls are called “canteens.” And I thought a canteen was a water bottle…
3 ring binders are almost impossible to find, they have 4 rings here!!
This one may be the quirkiest of them all and perhaps the most frustrating:
- Sinks have two separate faucets – one for the cold water and one for the hot water.
I could go on and on, but have decided to end this list with two specifically to do with my new home, Cambridge:
- The academic week starts on Thursdays. Seriously, look at this timetable:
- The Oxford and Cambridge rivalry is mentioned whenever possible.
I notice something silly about the UK every day and will make another list of 10 soon, but I hope you enjoyed this small glimpse into my new quirky world. Cheers!